– COVID-19: EAM S. Jaishankar attends extraordinary video conference of SCO (Shanghai Cooperation Organisation) Foreign Ministers
– US’ CDC commits $3.6 million to assist Government of India
📈 ECONOMY & CORPORATE
– Retail inflation, measured in terms of Consumer Price Index (CPI), declines to 5.84% in April
✔ ECONOMIC PACKAGE
– Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman announced a slew of measures for various sectors, including MSMEs hit by COVID-19-induced lockdown
– Economic package called ‘AatmaNirbhar Bharat Abhiyaan’ and is based on the five pillars of Economy, Infrastructure, System, Vibrant Demography and Demography and Demand that were outlined by the PM on May 12
– No Global tenders for Government tenders of upto Rs 200 crore
– Rs. 30,000 crore Special Liquidity Scheme for NBFC/HFC/MFIs
– Rs 90,000 crore Liquidity Injection for DISCOMs
– Extending the Employees Provident Fund Support for business and organised workers for another 3 months for salary months of June, July and August 2020
– Relief to Real Estate Projects: Registration and completion date for all registered projects will be extended up to six months.
– Reduction in Rates of ‘Tax Deduction at Source’ (TDS) and ‘Tax Collected at Source’ (TCS) by 25% for the remaining period of FY 20-21
– Date for filing Income Tax return for 2019-20 extended till 30th November
– India ranked 74th on global ‘Energy Transition Index’ (ETI) of WEF (World Economic Forum); index topped by Sweden
– ETI ranks 115 economies on the current performance of their energy systems and their readiness for transition to secure, sustainable, affordable, and inclusive energy systems.