– International Day of Light celebrated by UNESCO on May 16; day is anniversary of 1st successful operation of the laser in 1960 by physicist Theodore Maiman in US
– International Day of Living Together in Peace observed by UN on May 16
– Online dashboard NMIS (National Migrant Information System) developed by NDMA (National Disaster Management Authority) to monitor and facilitate movement of migrants across states
– A Landing Craft Utility (LCU) Mark IV warship built by the Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Limited (GRSE) commissioned into the Indian Navy at Port Blair
✔ CSIR-CMERI INNOVATIONS
– Scientists at CSIR-CMERI (Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute) in Durgapur, West Bengal, developed two sprayer units to disinfect indoor areas
– The two units BPDS & POMID are designed with two-stage spraying and separate storage tanks
✔ REFORMS PACKAGE
– Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman unveiled structural reforms in eight sectors while announcing the fourth tranche of government’s Rs 20 lakh crore economic package.
✔ MINERALS MINING
– Joint auction of bauxite and coal blocks will be started to enhance the aluminium industry’s competitiveness
– There will be easing of restrictions on utilisation of Indian air space to reduce travel time and save on fuel
– Currently, only 60 per cent of the Indian airspace is freely available.
– 6 more airports to be privatised
– India to become a global hub for Aircraft Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO), tax rates rationalise
✔ SOCIAL INFRASTRUCTURE
– Rs 8,100 crore will be provided as viability gap funding (VGF) for development of social infrastructure
– Private sector to be given a major role in India’s space programme, including in satellites, launches and space-based services.
✔ ATOMIC ENERGY
– Research reactor will be set up in public-private partnership (PPP) mode for making medical isotopes for use in affordable treatment for cancer and other diseases
👨🏻💼 Appointment and Resignations
– Zubair Iqbal appointed new MD of Jammu & Kashmir Bank for 3 years; R K Chibber to continue as Chairman for next 3 years