On Killing a Tree from 9th English
- On Killing a Tree from 9th English is provided here.
- By Gieve Patel
It takes much time to kill a tree,
Not a simple jab of the knife
Will do it. It has grown
Slowly consuming the earth,
Rising out of it, feeding
Upon its crust, absorbing
Years of sunlight, air, water,
And out of its leperous hide
So hack and chop
But this alone wont do it.
Not so much pain will do it.
The bleeding bark will heal
And from close to the ground
Will rise curled green twigs,
Which if unchecked will expand again
To former size.
The root is to be pulled out –
Out of the anchoring earth;
It is to be roped, tied,
And pulled out – snapped out
Or pulled out entirely,
Out from the earth-cave,
And the strength of the tree exposed
The source, white and wet,
The most sensitive, hidden
For years inside the earth.
Then the matter
Of scorching and choking
In sun and air,
And then it is done.
About the poet
- Dr Gieve Patel is one of the prominent Indian poets.
- His famous works include Evening, Forensic Medicine, and From Bombay Central.
- He has also penned three plays.
- He has been conducting a poetry workshop in Rishi Valley School for more than a decade.
- This poem is taken from his poetry collection ‘Poems’ published in 1966.
In this video, you will get a Complete Explanation, Figure of Speech and Appreciation Questions.
FOR PREVIOUS YEAR QUESTIONS QUIZ – CLICK HERE
DOWNLOAD SAMACHEER BOOKS PDF – CLICK HERE
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS QUIZ 2021 – CLICK HERE
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS NOTES 2022 – CLICK HERE
DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE APP FOR FREE TEST BATCH
- TNPSC General English Synonyms PDF
- TNPSC General English Where to Study PDF
- Life Poem from 10th English
- I am Every Woman Poem from 10th English
- The Secret of the Machines from 10th English
- The Ant and the Cricket from 10th English
- No Men are Foreign from 10th English
- The House on Elm Street from 10th English
- TNPSC Prefix and Suffix Study Material pdf
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening from 9th English
- A Poison Tree from 9th English