DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: 07 JANUARY 2021
1. Sports Minister Shri Kiren Rijiju inaugurates 162-bed hostel at Dr Karni Singh Shooting Range
- Union Sports Minister of State Shri Kiren Rijiju inaugurated a residential hostel in the premises of the Dr Karni Singh Shooting Range. It will be a 162 bedded air-conditioned hostel with attached washroom facility.
- Shri Kiren Rijiju said, “Our athletes represent the country at the Olympics, Asian Games, Commonwealth Games, they deserve a standard of living where basic facilities are provided.”
- Shooting being a priority sport, we have to take all the adequate steps for the shooters to support them in all aspects.
- With the creation of this hostel facility, it will be a major boost for the Indian shooters to concentrate on the sport without a mental burden.
- With the creation of this facility, it will not only benefit the core group of senior shooters but also the shooters who are part of the TOPS Development group and the Khelo India scheme and NCOE shooters.
- Shri Rijiju said, “Shooting is one of the premier sports at the moment, we have huge expectations from shooting and India has a huge reservoir of talent at grass-root level.”
- We have maximum qualification in Tokyo Olympics from shooting.
2. Shri Justice Sudhmshu Dhulia appointed as Chief Justice of the Gauhati High Court
- The President of India, in the exercise of the power conferred by clause (1) of Article 217 of the Constitution of India, appointed Shri Justice Sudhmshu Dhulia, Judge of the Uttarakhand High Court, as Chief Justice of the Gauhati High Court.
- Shri Justice Sudhanshu Dhulia, was enrolled as an Advocate on July 07, 1986, and practised in the Allahabad and Uttarakhand High Courts in Civil, Constitutional, Service, and Labour matters and specialized in Service and Constitutional matters.
- He was appointed as Permanent Judge of the Uttarakhand High Court on November l, 2008.
3. PM to Inaugurate Pravasi Bharatiya Divas Convention on Jan 9 2021
- Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) Convention is the flagship event of the Ministry of External Affairs and provides an important platform to engage and connect with the overseas Indians.
- The theme of 16th PBD Convention 2021 is “Contributing to Aatmanirbhar Bharat”.
- PBD Convention will have three segments. The PBD Convention will be inaugurated by Shri Narendra Modi, Hon’ble Prime Minister of India and will feature a keynote address by the Chief Guest, H.E. Mr Chandrikapersad Santokhi, Hon’ble President of the Republic of Suriname.
- The winners of the online Bharat ko Janiye Quiz for the youth will also be announced.
- The Inaugural session will be followed by the two Plenary sessions.
- The first Plenary on Role of Diaspora in Aatmanirbhar Bharat will feature addresses by External Affairs Minister and Commerce and Industry Minister, while the second Plenary on Facing Post Covid Challenges – Scenario in Health, Economy, Social and International Relations, will be addressed by Minister of Health and Minister of State for External Affairs.
- The finale would be the Valedictory Session where the Hon’ble Rashtrapatiji will deliver his Valedictory address to mark the occasion of Pravasi Bharatiya Divas.
- The names of the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Awardees for 2020-21 will also be announced. Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Awards are conferred to select Indian diaspora members to recognize their achievements and honour their contributions to various fields, both in India and abroad.
- The Youth PBD will also be celebrated virtually on the theme “Bringing together Young Achievers from India and Indian Diaspora” on 8 January 2021 and will be anchored by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
- The Special Guest for the event is H.E. Ms Priyanca Radhakrishnan, Minister for Community & Voluntary Sector of New Zealand.
4. National Statistics Office (NSO) released today the first Advance Estimates (AE) of GDP for the year 2020-21.
- The real GDP at 2011-12 prices in 2020-21 has been estimated to contract by 7.7 per cent and nominal GDP at current prices by 4.2 per cent.
5. CBIC introduces flagship Liberalised Authorised Economic Operator Package for MSMEs
- Central Board of Indirect Taxes & Customs (CBIC) has taken a new initiative to introduce its flagship “Liberalised MSME AEO Package” for Micro Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs).
- The relaxed requirements allow MSMEs who have filed a minimum 10 Customs clearance documents in one year and who have a clean compliance record over 2 years to apply for the scheme.
- Another feature is that the CBIC commits to take a decision on an application for grant of AEO status within only 15 days from the electronic submission of complete documents for AEO Tier T1.
- Through “Liberalised MSME AEO Package”, CBIC encourages all eligible MSMEs to avail advantages of faster Customs clearances and other related benefits.
6. Union Home Minister Shri Amit Shah hails CCEA approval to the Central Sector Scheme for Industrial Development of Jammu & Kashmir
- The approval for the scheme is Rs 24600 crores.
- This scheme will prove to be a boon for the cottage industry, handicrafts, micro, small and medium industries of Jammu and Kashmir.
- It will provide employment to 5.4 lakh people.
- This will lead to the skill development of youth and strengthen the existing industries so that Jammu and Kashmir will become as capable as other regions of the country.
7. Govt. says, over three crore new connections provided under Jal Jeevan Mission
- Over three crore new connections have been provided under Jal Jeevan Mission. Reviewing the progress of Jal Jeevan Mission, a flagship programme of the Government, Minister of State for Jal Shakti, Rattanlal Kataria informed that since Independence till August 2019, a total of 3.23 Crore rural households out of 18.93 crore rural households had tap water connections.
- Mr Kataria informed that Goa is the first State to provide 100 per cent piped connection.
- He said, so far 27 Districts, 458 blocks, 33,516 Gram Panchayats, 66,210 villages have been declared to have achieved ‘Har Ghar Jal’.
- Recently, Kurukshetra became the 27th District in India and 3rd in Haryana to have achieved this target.
- Telangana, Gujarat, Haryana, and Puducherry are close to achieving 100 per cent coverage. He credited the success primarily to the people of these villages, Gram Panchayats, Paani Samitis, public health authorities and other stakeholders, Uttarakhand, Manipur, Mizoram, UT of Andaman and Nicobar.