13th August 2022 Current Affairs
IMPORTANT CURRENT AFFAIRS KEY POINTS – DOWNLOAD PDF
13th August 2022 Current Affairs is provided below:
1. Climate Action:
- India Meteorological Department (IMD), the government of Japan, and the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) have launched a new initiative to accelerate climate action in India.
- The initiative will support Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) to help achieve net zero emissions.
- The aim is to foster green jobs and green innovation in the renewable energy sector by providing skills and training to more than 2000 people.
- In November 2021, at the COP – 26 held in Glasgow, India pledged,
- To cut India’s projected carbon emission by 1 billion tonnes in 2030
- Install 500 GW of non-fossil fuel energy capacity by 2030
- Reduce carbon intensity by less than 45%
- Net zero emissions by 2070
2. 2022 Nature Index Rankings:
- The University of Hyderabad in Telangana, an institute of eminence, was placed first among Indian universities.
- The Nature index is an indicator of high-quality research in natural and physical sciences including subjects such as chemistry, life sciences, earth and environmental sciences and physical sciences.
3. Peace Commission:
- Proposed by the Mexican President, Andrés Manuel López Obrador.
- The commission included Pope Francis, the UN Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres, and Indian PM Narendra Modi.
- The commission aims to stop wars across the world and reach an agreement to seek a truce for at least five years.
4. 5th elephant reserve in Tamil Nadu:
- Agasthyamalai Elephant reserve
- 32nd Elephant reserve in India.
- The reserve covers an area of 1,19,748.26 hectares (1,197 sq km) in the districts of Tirunelveli and Kanyakumari.
- The Asian Elephant is included in Schedule I of the Indian Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972 and has IUCN status of “Endangered”.
- Four Existing Elephant reserves in Tamilnadu:
- Nilambur Silent Valley in Coimbatore – 566 sq. km
- Srivilliputhur elephant reserve – 1,249 sq. km
- Anaimalai Elephant reserve – 1,457 sq. km
- Nilgiris – Eastern Ghats – 4,663 sq. km
5. SMILE – 75 initiative:
- Launched by the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment
- To identify 75 Municipal Corporations to implement comprehensive rehabilitation of persons engaged in the act of begging.
- SMILE: Support for Marginalised Individuals for Livelihood and Enterprise” named as “SMILE-75 Initiative”.
- The Government of India has recognised the persisting problem of destitution and beggary and formulated a comprehensive scheme of SMILE
- It includes a sub-scheme of comprehensive rehabilitation for persons engaged in begging that covers identification, rehabilitation, provision of medical facilities, counselling, and education, skill development for a decent job and self-employment/entrepreneurship.
6. World Organ Donation Day:
- Observed on 13th August
- Theme 2022 – “let’s pledge to donate organs and save lives”
- Donating organs of the deceased like kidneys, heart, pancreas, eyes, lungs, etc can help save the lives of those who are facing chronic illnesses.
7. Neidhal Salt:
- Tamilnadu government launched Neidhal salt
- It is a brand of salt manufactured and marketed by the Tamil Nadu Salt Corporation.
- Tamil Nadu Salt Corporation – Established in 1974
- It is the only state government-owned establishment that manufactures salt and salt-based products in India.
- Tamil Nadu produces about 8% of the 300 lakh MT of salt produced in the country and it is the 2nd largest salt-producing state in the country.
8. Union Home Ministry Award 2022 for Special Investigation:
- Given to 151 personnel from police departments, CBI, NIA and Narcotics Control Bureau across the country.
- Awardees from Tamil Nadu:
- Pandi Muthulakshmi
FOR PREVIOUS YEAR QUESTIONS QUIZ – CLICK HERE
DOWNLOAD SAMACHEER BOOKS PDF – CLICK HERE
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS QUIZ 2021 – CLICK HERE
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS NOTES 2022 – CLICK HERE
DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE APP FOR FREE TEST BATCH