29th August 2022 Current Affairs
IMPORTANT CURRENT AFFAIRS KEY POINTS – DOWNLOAD PDF
29th August 2022 Current Affairs is provided below:
1. Books & Authors:
- “Free Fall: My Experiments with Living”
- Authored by Mallika Sarabhai
- Mallika is an accomplished Kuchipudi and Bharatanatyam dancer who has specialized in using the arts for social change and transformation.
2. National Sports Day:
- Observed on 29th August
- Also known as Rashtriya Khel Divas
- It is a tribute to hockey legend Major Dhyan Chand who was born on this date in 1905.
- The day has been observed since 2012.
3. International Day Against Nuclear Tests:
- Observed on 29th August
- To raise awareness about the devastating effects of testing nuclear weapons.
4. Adille Sumariwalla has been appointed the president of the Indian Olympic Association.
5. Stockholm Water Prize 2022:
- Professor Emeritus Wilfried Brutsaert has been awarded.
- He has been awarded for his groundbreaking work to quantify environmental evaporation.
- He has pioneered novel approaches to understanding changes in groundwater storage.
- The Stockholm Water Prize is the world’s most prestigious water award.
- This award has been awarded since 1991 to people and organisations for extraordinary water-related achievements.
6. SC verdict on Poll Promises:
- The SC has decided to reconsider a 2013 judgement on Poll Promises.
- It was ‘S.Subramaniyam versus Government of Tamil Nadu’s judgement in 2013.
- Previously, the SC held that pre-poll promises made by political parties to entice voters do not fall within the ambit of Section 123 (Corrupt practices) under the Representation of the People Act.
- It announced that only an individual candidate, not their party, can commit a corrupt practice.
- Now, a three-judge bench is to be set up to review the court’s earlier judgement.
7. New Head for International Institute of Tamil Studies:
- Professor Manavazhagan has been appointed the Head of the Publishing Department of the International Institute of Tamil Studies.
- It was established in 1968 for Tamil Research.
- Due to the steps taken by Thaninayagam Adigal and former Chief Minister C N Annadurai.
8. Khadi Utsav (Khadi Festival):
- The Prime Minister inaugurated the festival on the Sabarmati Riverfront.
- The PM said that Khadi can become a source of inspiration for achieving the dream of development and Atmanirbhar Bharat.
- As part of the event, PM Modi inaugurated the Pedestrian only “Atal Bridge” on “The Sabarmati River”.
9. Garba Dance – Nomination in UNESCO:
- Garba Dance – Gujarat.
- Nominated for the year 2023.
- It is taken after West Bengal’s Durga Puja was inscribed as an Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity by UNESCO in 2022.
10. Accepting India’s request, 2023 has been declared the International Year of Millets by the United Nations.
FOR PREVIOUS YEAR QUESTIONS QUIZ – CLICK HERE
DOWNLOAD SAMACHEER BOOKS PDF – CLICK HERE
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS QUIZ 2021 – CLICK HERE
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS NOTES 2022 – CLICK HERE
DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE APP FOR FREE TEST BATCH
ANDROID: CLICK HERE IOS: CLICK HERE