A Tragic Story from 6th English
- A Tragic Story from 6th English is provided here.
- By William Makepeace Thackeray
There lived a sage in days of yore,
And he a handsome pigtail wore;
But wondered much and sorrowed more,
Because it hung behind him.
He mused upon this curious case,
And swore he’d change the pigtail’s place,
And have it hanging at his face,
Not dangling there behind him.
Says he, “The mystery I’ve found –
Says he, “The mystery I’ve found!
I’ll turn me round,” he turned him round;
But still it hung behind him.
Then round and round, and out and in,
All day the puzzled sage did spin;
In vain–it mattered not a pin –
The pigtail hung behind him.
And right and left and round about,
And up and down and in and out
He turned; but still the pigtail stout
Hung steadily behind him.
And though his efforts never slack,
And though he twist and twirl, and tack,
Alas! Still faithful to his back,
The pigtail hangs behind him.
About the Poet
- William Makepeace Thackeray was one of the great novelists of the English Victorian Age. His ‘Vanity Fair’ is one of the finest and best-known novels in English literature.
- Thackeray wrote in a colourful, lively style, with a simple vocabulary and clearly- structured sentences.
- These qualities, combined with his honest view of life, give him an important place in the history of realistic literature
In this video, you will get a Complete Explanation, Figure of Speech and Appreciation Questions.
FOR PREVIOUS YEAR QUESTIONS QUIZ – CLICK HERE
DOWNLOAD SAMACHEER BOOKS PDF – CLICK HERE
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS QUIZ 2021 – CLICK HERE
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS NOTES 2022 – CLICK HERE
DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE APP FOR FREE TEST BATCH
- TNPSC General English Synonyms PDF
- TNPSC General English Where to Study PDF
- Life Poem from 10th English
- I am Every Woman Poem from 10th English
- The Secret of the Machines from 10th English
- The Ant and the Cricket from 10th English
- No Men are Foreign from 10th English
- The House on Elm Street from 10th English
- TNPSC Prefix and Suffix Study Material pdf
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening from 9th English
- A Poison Tree from 9th English
- On Killing a Tree from 9th English
- The Spider and the Fly from 9th English
- The River Poem from 9th English
- The Comet Poem from 9th English
- The Stick-together Families from 9th English
- Special Hero from 8th English
- Making Life Worth While from 8th English
- A Thing of Beauty from 8th English
- Lessons in Life from 8th English
- My Computer Needs A Break from 8th English
- Sea Fever from 7th English
- Courage from 7th English
- Team Work from 6th English
- From A Railway Carriage from 6th English
- Indian Seasons from 6th English